Man flies 5600km to no wedding

CalendarA man flew all the way from Canada to Britain for a friend's wedding - then realised he was a year too early.

David Best sent friend David Barclay an email at the start of 2007 which mentioned his wedding date of July 6.

Despite receiving no invitation, and thinking it was a bit odd to have a wedding on a Friday, expat teacher Barclay nonetheless booked his flights and jetted the 5600km from Toronto to Cardiff, in Wales.

"I booked my ticket, paid $1175 to fly into Cardiff, got the old suit cleaned, the goatee trimmed, the head shaved - I was going to be the belle of the ball," Mr Barclay told BBC Radio.

"I called his mum to find his number and then I called him up and I said, 'When and where is this wedding? It's in a couple of days and I'd just like to know where I'm going.'

"He said to me, 'Mate, it's not this year, it's next year. 2008 not 2007'."

Only then did a whole list of other strange occurrences start to make any sense.

Source: News.com.au
Tags: |

Comments