The Artist Who Paints With Bugs

Bug ArtHe is the artist who paints without putting brush to canvas. Instead, Steven Kutcher uses moths, beetles, spiders, flies, honey bees, butterflies, grasshoppers - and even Hissing Cockroaches from Madagascar.

He dips the insects in paint, places them on a blank canvas and lets their movement create a string of colourful paintings.

Mr Kutcher, 63, uses insects as living paintbrushes, guiding them by using their reaction to light or simply letting them wriggle at will.

He said: "I'll take a bug in my hand and, leg by leg, load the paint on to each leg. Then I put them on to the canvas and off they go, leaving a tiny trail of coloured footprints in their wake.

"Insects have different footprints and behaviours so I use both my entomological and artistic knowledge to create fine works of art."

The artist, who lives in Los Angeles, is a keen environmentalist and says he ensures his paint-soaked insects are unharmed.

He said: "I use water-based, nontoxic gouache paints which easily wash off. I have to take good care of them. After all, they are artists."


More pictures after the jump.


Bug Art
Bug Art
Bug Art
Bug Art
Video: YouTube
Source: DailyMail
Tags: | | |

Comments