Korean Man 'Killed By Exploding Battery in His Cell Phone'
An exploding cell phone battery is suspected by police in the death of a South Korean worker, though the phone's manufacturer said it was highly unlikely.
The man, identified only by his family name Suh, was found dead at his workplace on Wednesday morning and his mobile phone battery was melted in his shirt pocket, a police official in Cheongwon said.
“We presume that the cell phone battery exploded," the police official said. The investigation was still under way.
Kim Hoon, a doctor who examined the body, agreed. "He sustained an injury that is similar to a burn in the left chest and his ribs and spine were broken," Kim said. "It is presumed that pressure caused by the explosion damaged his heart and lungs, leading to his death."
Police said the phone was made by South Korea's LG Electronics Inc., the world's fifth-biggest handset maker.
Tags: Cell Phone | Mobile Phone | Handphone | Explode