Driver Cheats Death as Truck Falls from Bridge

Steven LeightleyA driver survived with only minor injuries after his pick-up truck plummeted 70ft (21m) from a bridge.

Steven Leightley's vehicle spun out of control when it collided with a car on the A1(M) near Chester-le-Street in County Durham on Wednesday.

The 38-year-old's Isuzu Trooper went through a bridge crash barrier over the River Wear onto the embankment.

He said: "The last thing I remember is glass coming in, air bags going off.
"I thought it was other vehicles hitting me, because I thought I was still on the A1.

"I feel overwhelmed. It brings it home when you come back down here and see the damage."

Durham Fire and Rescue Service sent three crews to the scene, but Mr Leightley had already freed himself from the truck.

Source: Journal Live & BBC
Tags: | | | |

Comments